Finding the Answers. This is what each person who starts WWII research hopes to accomplish. We often begin with many questions, to which answers are often elusive. The most logical place to search for answers to our World War II questions is online.
There is a common misconception that all military records exist online. While many records are digitized and placed on line each day, the fact is, most of the records required are in paper format in repositories and archives. Requiring records that exist only on paper may leave you wondering, what can I find online? How can I find information easily?
This quick guide introduces you to:
- Reasons to research WWII service online.
- What records may be available online.
- Techniques to make searching easier.
- A research form to track websites you’ve visited.
- A sample of websites on which you can find information.
- Checklist of specific databases and indexes.
- Where to go to learn more.
Are you ready to Find the Answers about your family’s military service online?
© 2019 World War II Research and Writing Center